Dear Semiahmoo Dental Centre Patients,
We hope you and your loved ones are doing well at this time. As you all know, on March 16, 2020 the College of Dental Surgeons of British Columbia made a decision to suspend all elective and non-essential dental services due to the outbreak of COVID-19. During these past weeks we have continued to care for and see our patients with emergent or urgent concerns. These restrictions have now been lifted by the Provincial Health Officer, so we can proceed with all dental services, and continue doing what we love, caring for you!
The health and safety of both our patients and staff have always been our top priority. We have always used enhanced levels of sterilization and utilized PPE that followed the College of Dental Surgeons of BC’s guidelines. However, times have changed, and our clinic is changing too. As we are completing our preparations to provide all dental services to our patients, we wanted to share steps we have taken in order to ensure we are providing exceptional care to our patients while ensuring their safety and that of our staff:
- We have purchased a world class medical grade indoor air purification system. The Cascade White by Surgically Clean Air is one of the most advanced systems on the market. It is utilized by numerous hospitals, medical labs and by the UBC Dental Clinic. The six-stage air filtration system cleans, purifies and sterilizes the air in our clinic by capturing viruses, bio-aerosols, and many other pollutants that are found in the air in workplaces. It exchanges the air 6-8 times an hour. We are proud to say that we are supporting a great Canadian company in this in this endeavor.
- Professionally fitted P100 Respirator Masks will be worn by all of our dentists, certified dental assistants, and hygienists. P100 Respirator Masks offer the highest level of personal respiratory protection with the masks blocking 99.9 percent of particles.
- Face shields (sourced from a local BC company), and level 3 isolation gowns will also be worn by all clinical staff.
- We will continue to regularly clean and sanitize the entire office. Operatories will also continue to be cleaned thoroughly after every patient with CDC approved sanitizing supplies. WHO formula hand sanitizer (from another great BC company) is available for all patients and staff.
- Patients will perform a hydrogen peroxide rinse prior to treatment to help minimize viral loads; rubber dams will continue to be utilized in treatments to reduce aerosol spray and contamination.
- In order to allow for physical distancing, appointment times will be staggered, physical distancing is in place in the waiting room and front desk area; plastic shields are also in place at the front desk in order to provide a barrier between staff and patients. As a general rule, in order to maintain physical distancing, we are only allowing patients with appointments to enter the clinical area. Spouses, friends, caregivers and parents are kindly requested to wait in nonclinical areas. Minors under the age of 14 are able to be accompanied by a parent if required. Of course, we will make exceptions if required in individual circumstances.
- We have the capacity to text message patients letting them know when we are ready to bring them into the clinical area if they do not wish to wait inside the office.
- Patients and all staff will have their temperature checked with a touchless thermometer upon entering the office, anyone with a temperature higher than 37.5 C will not be able to enter the clinic.
- All patients or staff that exhibit symptoms of illness will be asked to stay home.
- Patients will also be required to wear a non-medical mask covering their nose and mouth when entering the clinic.
Please note as we are ready and equipped with all the necessary PPE, we have missed you all these last two months and look forward to seeing you! We have attached some pictures below to give you a glimpse of some of the changes you may notice.
Thank you again for your loyalty and continued support,
Dr. Effie Gregoriou and the entire Semiahmoo Dental Centre Team