Oral Cancer Screening
Oral cancer is a disease resulting from abnormal cell growth on the lips, inside the mouth or throat area. The Dentists at Semiahmoo Dental Centre in White Rock BC provide the proper examination of the mouth and surrounding areas.
VELscope To Detect Suspicious Lesions Is Used At Hygiene Appointment
At Semiahmoo Dental Centre we screen you upon your first dental visit, and every recall hygiene appointment after that. This scope is painless and non-invasive and only takes a few moments to get results. The blue light will help detect any abnormal tissue; it is worth knowing that these abnormalities are not apparent to see without the VELscope. If suspicious lesions are seen, a biopsy is warranted for further investigation.
Signs and Symptoms of Oral Cancer
- White or dark red patches in your mouth, or on your lips or tongue.
- Lumps or changes in the texture or colour of the mouth tissues.
- Bleeding or numbness in the mouth; sores or patches that do not heal.
- Difficulty swallowing; changes in taste or tongue sensation.
Recommended Tips From The Canadian Dental Association To Help Prevent Oral Cancer
- See your dentist regularly for dental exams and ask about oral cancer screenings.
- Stop using tobacco products – ask your dentist about tools to help you quit.
- Limit alcohol consumption.
- Limit sun exposure and use U/V protective lip balms.
- Eat a healthy diet with lots of fruits and vegetables.
- Check your mouth regularly for signs or symptoms and report any changes in your mouth to your dentist right away.
Contact Semiahmoo Dental Centre in White Rock For Oral Cancer Screening
If you require more information about Oral Cancer Detection, please call our office at 604-536-6711. The key to proper oral health is regular checkups which include the screening of Oral Cancer, and Semiahmoo Dental has the expertise and proper state-of-the-art equipment to provide this valuable service. We look forward to being your dental care team.
Check out other dental services we offer.